Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I started photographing children at a very early age. When I was growing up I had two younger brothers and two younger sisters, and one of the first things I ever purchased with my baby sitting money was a camera.

It was a Kodak StarMite and I really loved that camera. My siblings became my favorite subjects, and soon I was snapping photos of them as often as I could. Living on a dairy farm also presented opportunities for great photographs, and when I could afford it I snapped away.

In those days everything was on film, and it was expensive to develop film, particularly for a young girl. While I did the best I could, I wish there could have been many more photographs of those days.
But today we have no such excuse. Today's digital slr cameras with memory cards you can take hundreds, even thousands of photographs. But there are a lot of choices in cameras, and when I go to a store and kind of peruse all of the choices there the sales person always talks about how many pixels the images produced by the camera will have.

Well, more pixels does not necessarily mean it is a better camera, unless you are taking photographs to be blown up and published on a billboard! You see, there is a limit to the number of pixels that can be used to produce a photograph of a particular size.

So while I am taking photographs of children the parents always ask me what kind of camera to get. As a professional I have used most every make of camera there is, and my favorite remains my Pentax Spotmatic SLR camera.

It is not digital, requires no battery, and I get great photographs with it. For digital cameras I love the Canon line of digital slr cameras best of all.

The reason is that I find the cameras to be intuitive. In other words, the various controls on the camera are where I would expect them to be, and they do what I expect they will do.

One of the more important things about the digital slr cameras is battery life. Some cameras literally eat batteries. It is so frustrating to be snapping away when the light is just right, the subject is co-operating nicely and then the camera dies! Ugh...

This is particularly true of child photography. Kids are in motion all of the time, have a short attention span, and you can miss that very special look in the blink of an eye.

So the best advice I can give is don't spend a lot of money on pixels, rather make sure the camera "feels" right, that the battery lasts a reasonable amount of time (buy an extra battery too), and that it is easy to operate.

Be sure and take the time to look through the manual that will come with the camera to see if it makes sense, is easy to read and understand. So many times I have gotten home with a new camera and have a hard time understanding the instructions in the operator's manual.

Once you have purchased a good digital SLR camera make sure you do the most important thing - take a lot of photographs of your children. They grow faster than you think, time passes by quickly when you are raising your kids, and they will leave before you know it.

Don't miss the opportunities that are there now - they won't last long! Trust me, you will be glad you did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment